Getting Rid of a Bug

or a malware pop up ad in this case.  A couple of days ago, I started to get this pop up

Security center alert
Do you want to block this suspicious software?
Name: Trojan.Zlob.G
Risk Level: High
Description: Trojan.Zlob.G is a trojan program that records keystrokes and takes screen shots of the computer, stealing personal and financial information.”

It looked very official, so I followed the link (DON'T) and downloaded the program....I was just getting ready to install it when my senses kicked in and I thought to myself "Better investigate this"  Sure enough it was a malware program.  I quickly deleted what I had downloaded but still was bothered by those pesky popups.  

I then downloaded Avast free antivirus software and deleted the useless Norton software that came with the computer (should have done this months ago....Avast is the only antivirus software that I have used that has kept my computers virus free...not that there aren't others out there)

Spent all day yesterday look how to get rid of Perfect Defender 2o09, trying what was recommended with no sucess....turns out I didn't actually have that trojan.  So this early a.m.  I searched for the removal of those security alerts (wish I had taken a screen shot so I could show what they look like)  Between two different sites I was able to eradicate the pest.  Here is the combined knowledge that I learned.

1. Turn off your computer

2. Restart in Safe mode

  • click F8 after you hear the first beep when you turn it on
  • using your arrow keys, highlight "Start in Safe Mode"
  • Hit Enter ~ your computer shall now proceed to boot up.


3. Set your system to show all files.

  • Click Start.
  • Open My Computer.
  • Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
  • Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
  • Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
  • Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
  • Click Yes to confirm.
  • Click OK.


Then, navigate to the following folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Application Data\Google

  • click on "Start"
  • click on "My Computer
  • click on "c:"
  • click on Documents and Settings
  • click on User (or username)
  • click on Application Data
  • click on Google

4. Delete the following items

  • kjzna1562565.exe
  • spcffwl.dll
  • T-Scan (entire folder)

 you can delete by holding your mouse over the item, right clicking on your mouse and hitting "delete"

5. Close out the box.

6. Click on your recycle bin

7. Empty recycle bin

8.  Reboot your computer, it should automatically start up in Normal mode.

The popup should be gone!  :)



Comments

Popular Posts