Strawberry Jam - no sugar added

This morning, I taught my girls how to make strawberry jam. It was a learning experience for me as well because this was the first time I used the "No Sugar Needed" Pectin. So we took 2 quarts of strawberries, washed, hulled and pureed them (in the blender) = 5 cups. Added a cup of unsweetened apple juice and put over the flame where we were supposed gradually add and constantly stir in the pectin, well I did what it said, but the pectin clumped (I dont ever remember it doing that with the sugar kind), so I stuck it back in the blender got rid of the clumps and put it back on the stove. I was going to skim off the foam, but the whole thing was a cloudy color (unlike what I was used to where you have the colored liquid with a little bit of foam on top to skim), so I put it as was in the sterilized jars, put on the sterlized lids and put in for a water bath for 10 minutes per the directions. The jars have sealed well, but the color is still "strange". Does anybody have any experience making sugar free jams and jellies.....is this the way it is supposed to be? Just wondering.

The jelly is definitely not sweet like we are used, but I think it will make a great combination with some natural peanut butter and I feel better knowing that it has all natural sugars.

Comments

Popular Posts