Thursday, August 09, 2007
if i had only known...
What have you learned on your homeschooling journey? What would you/did you change? This is an opportunity to encourage others who are just starting out or who are struggling with issues that seem unsolvable. It is also a perfect opportunity to tell us about one of those days made you want to throw in the towel. A funny story? Perfect!
Some things I have learned along the way:
1) Pray, pray, pray. Pray for wisdom, pray for flexibility, pray for creativity...and whatever else you can think of.
2) Do not expect perfection .... they are fallen beings just like their mom..at least mine are!
3) Discover each child's learning style (and your teaching style)...and if you are like me and have more than one child, try to find a curriculum that covers a multiple of learning styles. Cathy Duffy's 100 Top Homeschool Curriculum picks was very helpful to me in this area.
4) Sometimes if curriculum doesnt seem to be working the way you want, try a different approach or to adapt it so it does work....knowing your child's learning style can help with this.
5) Be flexible!
6) Scheduling: I dont schedule every subject for every day. I break it up: History is M, W & F....Science is Tuesdays & Thursdays. Math & Grammar is M-Thurs, Art & Music is on Fridays. I try to make Fridays fun days, so History it will be a special project etc. This is what works for us, try to find what works for you.
7) Dont give up!