Why We Chose to Homeschool


Ever since I was a teenager, I knew I would homeschool my children (if I ever go married LOL). I was raised in a conservative Christian family. When I finished 5th grade at the public school my parents placed my sister and I in a Christian school. When she was a junior in high school, homeschooling had become legal in New York state, so my parents homeschooled her through junior and senior high and I continued to attend the Christian school. When she graduated and wanted to attend Christ for the Nations in Dallas, they kept me at home for 11th & 12th and sent her to Bible school. I really disliked being homeschooled, but knew it was the right thing for that time. A lot of my older siblings who were married and had children of their own also homeschooled, so I was not at all a stranger to the idea.

When I met my husband he was in agreement with homeschooling so we knew that when we had children, this is what we would do. Except for that first day of first grade, I have never questioned this being the right thing to do and God has continued to confirm through scripture, the moral decline of the public school and through others that this was the right decision for our family.

So WHY do I homeschool:

1. I believe that we are instructed by scriptures that parents are to instruct their children. Deuteronomy 6 is the most commonly quoted scripture of this.

2. I believe that Public Schools are not a safe place for my children: physically, mentally and spiritually.

3. I know my children better than anybody else (except for God) and can guide their education that best suits them.

4. I can control who my children are being influenced by.

There are many other reasons why we homeschool. These are the ones that come immediately to mind.

Comments

Popular Posts